Within the phrases of my esteemed colleague Jim Nantz … hi there, associates. Welcome to the Masters.
Arguably the largest golf occasion of the 12 months will get underway right this moment, as the 2021 Masters kick off at Augusta Nationwide this morning. We’ll dive into who’s acquired an actual shot to win the inexperienced jacket this 12 months, and that is simply scraping the floor of all of the protection we’ll have over the approaching days. You higher consider we’ll offer you every little thing you could know.
We’ll additionally contact on Sean Miller’s firing at Arizona (and who would possibly substitute him), yesterday’s Champions League motion and an replace on Tiger Woods’ February automotive crash.
The golf is underway so what do you say we get proper to it this morning, huh?
📰 What you could know
1. The 2021 Masters is right here. Here is who really has a shot at successful 🏌
It is a fantastic day for some golf at Augusta Nationwide, ain’t it? Properly, maybe not within the forecast-sense, however we have nonetheless acquired 88 golfers vying for the best to don the inexperienced jacket this Sunday. In fact, not all of them have a practical shot of doing so. By the tip of right this moment’s opening spherical, we’ll have a comparatively good thought of which gamers have an opportunity and which have already performed themselves out of competition.
With that in thoughts, our ever-brilliant golf guru Kyle Porter is right here to assist proactively slim down the checklist of reliable contenders earlier than we even get began. Here is a handful of men he thinks can really win it:
- Jordan Spieth (10-1): Spieth has been red-hot since February, and he is coming off a win final weekend — his first in 4 years. He is already confirmed himself at Augusta Nationwide and issues are trending in his course proper now
- Dustin Johnson (9-1): No shock right here, proper? He is the reigning Masters champ, who has 5 straight high 10s and the scoring report on the occasion. He tends to thrive at Augusta Nationwide. Placing could possibly be a problem if the greens are super-fast, however in any other case he is the favourite for a cause
- Justin Thomas (10-1): He is acquired success at Augusta Nationwide and if his method sport is on this week, then there’s cause to consider that his points placing might not even matter
- Bryson DeChambeau (11-1): He is change into the focal point due to his simple love for fully smashing balls as arduous as he can, and that may assist give him an actual shot if he performs the course like a par 67 or 68. However he’ll even have to seek out sufficient finesse in and across the greens if he desires to squeeze these beefy arms into the inexperienced jacket
- Rory McIlroy (14-1): At present’s opening spherical might not be as necessary for anybody as it’s for Rory. He is acquired his share of points, however he is a special beast with some confidence behind him. There is a cause he is acquired extra high 10s within the final decade than anybody else within the area
You possibly can try the remainder of Porter’s checklist right here, and it contains some longer pictures — as excessive as 33-1. If you happen to’re desirous about diving even deeper, Porter has additionally ranked the ENTIRE area (sorry Ian Woosnam, you are Mr. Irrelevant this 12 months.)
It is value noting that Porter believes Augusta Nationwide may play as tough as ever this 12 months, which ought to give the world’s most proficient gamers (particularly these sturdy with irons) a bonus this week. The course is trying agency and quick on account of how dry it’s, and that would make for a really fierce event.
One factor that will assist even the taking part in area a bit? Rain is predicted on three of the 4 event days, which might gradual issues down. Both method, we have got an elite area and one of the vital thrilling weekends of golf ready for us within the coming days, so let’s benefit from the journey. You will discover the total schedule right here and comply with together with our golf crew’s reside weblog right here. The one factor we’re lacking is Tiger.
2. Who’s going to switch Sean Miller at Arizona? 🏀
Sean Miller was axed as the top coach of the Arizona Wildcats on Wednesday as the college awaits NCAA punishment following 9 costs of misconduct (5 of that are Stage I allegations, probably the most severe in nature.) These costs come as the results of an FBI wiretap investigation that discovered Miller mentioned funds for prospects, his employees accepted bribes and steered recruits towards monetary advisers.
Regardless of an impressive run with the college (302-109 report and three Elite Eights in 12 seasons), it isn’t a shock that Miller is out of a job following the scandal — the one query is why it took so lengthy. And although this system’s fame has been tarnished as results of the investigation, it stays a really interesting teaching vacation spot.
So, who could possibly be in line to switch Miller and get Arizona again heading in the right direction? Our faculty hoops insiders Matt Norlander and Gary Parrish spotlight a couple of prospects:
- Tommy Lloyd, Gonzaga assistant: Lloyd has spent twenty years on Mark Few’s employees at Gonzaga and has performed a key position in recruitment efforts whereas the Zags had been rising to nationwide prominence. At 46, he is prepared for a shot to run his personal program and that chance might not come at Gonzaga for some time longer
- Damon Stoudemire, Pacific head coach: Stoudemire is a legendary member of the Arizona household and he is acquired 5 years of teaching expertise at Pacific. The 71-77 total report does not stand out, however he received WCC Coach of the Yr final season after a 20-win marketing campaign
- Luke Walton, Kings coach: Walton is one other member of the Arizona household and he is acquired 5 years of NBA head teaching expertise, although not a lot success exterior of an interim stint with the Warriors. In three seasons with the Lakers and one season with the Kings he is but to register a successful report, and the Arizona job may provide a recent begin in a spot the place he has established goodwill
There are a number of different guys listed, so try the extra choices right here.
It isn’t precisely a really perfect state of affairs to take over a program embroiled in controversy and try to select up the items, but it surely’s additionally not an inconceivable activity both. Here is a reminder that Scott Drew took over Baylor after Dave Bliss was fired following a catastrophic scandal that appeared to depart this system in ruins…and now they’re nationwide champions.
3. Champions League recap: Bayern cannot include PSG ⚽
The primary legs of Champions League quarterfinal matchups are within the books, as Wednesday introduced our preliminary have a look at the remaining two matchups. PSG took down Bayern Munich in Germany and Chelsea pissed off Porto in Seville, so here is what you could know from these outcomes:
- PSG proceed to reside in Bizarro World: Going towards ordinary developments, PSG is struggling in Ligue 1 however discovering ends in Europe. With their spectacular 3-2 victory yesterday, they’ve now received back-to-back street video games at Barcelona and Bayern. Kylian Mbappe scored twice to assist push the Parisians to victory
- Time to maneuver on from Sule: Bayern defender Niklas Sule is having a world of hassle making an attempt to deal with the pace of Neymar, Mbappe and Angel Di Maria. He seemed horrible on the 2 targets that had been scored within the 42 minutes he performed
- Chelsea a close to lock to advance: The Blues acquired a 2-0 win on the street, which units them up very properly to advance to the semis subsequent week. With how effectively their protection has been taking part in, they need to be assured about their probabilities of pushing via
That’ll do it for UCL motion this week, however the quarterfinal matchups will decide again up early subsequent week and the second legs know the way to convey drama … particularly this late within the event. Take a look at the schedule right here, bookmark the required dates and instances and keep in mind: All Champions League matches might be streamed on Paramount+.
4. Particulars of Tiger Woods’ crash emerge 🏌
It has been some time since we have gotten any updates on Tiger Woods’ February automotive wreck, however yesterday introduced some new data courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Workplace. We have got a greater thought of what occurred within the occasions main as much as that crash, so here is the most recent:
- It is believed Woods was driving 84-87 mph in a forty five mph zone when he first misplaced management of the car and 75 mph when his it lastly crashed right into a tree
- He might have hit the fuel as a substitute of the brake when his automotive first began veering off the street
- Woods is not going to be charged with a criminal offense, as rushing and “lack of ability to barter the curve of the roadway” had been decided to be the only cause for the crash
- Woods has no recollection of the crash, however there’s no indication that he was behaving or working the car erratically
Woods has been resting in Florida for a lot of the previous month, however we do not have many particulars into how the restoration and rehab goes. At this level, we simply need to be glad he is alive — particularly contemplating how briskly he was touring at influence — and hope that he will get again to full energy.
📝 Odds & Ends
📺 What to observe right this moment
🏌 Masters Spherical 1 | TV: Paramount+ | Streaming: CBSSports.com
🏒 Bruins vs. Capitals, 7 p.m. | WSH -120 | TV: ESPN+
🏀 Suns vs. Clippers, 10 p.m. | LAC -5 | TV: TNT
🥇 The very best factor I noticed yesterday
The emotional interview Jack Campbell gave after successful 10 straight begins for the Maple Leafs — a brand new franchise report.